Monday, September 16, 2013

A letter home

I sent this home with my homeroom class, but figured I would share it with you all here as
Hello,
                I thought I would send a message home with all of my homeroom students.  I hope this letter finds you well and just as excited as I am to be seeing the progress of your child in history.  Hopefully we have already had a moment or two to discuss your child and his or her particular progress.

                I have been absolutely taken a back with the amount of generosity I have seen from you all with donations of tissues, band aids, wipes, hand sanitizer, and so much more.  I apologize, I have not individually thanked you.  The first two days had such hustle and bustle I did not even always see what students put on my desk.  So once again, thank you.
               
As you may have noticed, we hit the ground running during the first weeks of school.  I am so happy to be getting to know all of the students and their families.  The relationship between the teacher, parent, and child is the foundation of your child’s success.  I look forward to continuing to build a positive relationship of trust and respect with you and your student.  

Our first few weeks of school has certainly gone quickly and well, but were not without various bumps along the road.  I know it has been difficult without having a parent handbook available from the beginning of the school year to help quell misconceptions and rumors about policy and procedure.  I know since I copied some of the papers myself, what I’ve sent home to your student has not always been the easiest to read.  I also know how frustrating it can be waiting in car line, as I’ve been on the other side hoping for it to go faster as well.  I know those are just a few of the hardships we have endured together, but nothing without great labor, right?  This is my seventh year of teaching, and despite the rocky road we have already endured, I have never been so excited, proud, and sure I am taking part in something great that truly will be a fantastic opportunity for you, your child, the teachers, and Frederick County.  Seeing the success I have already, I think we are on to something big.

In history we have been learning about the rise of civilizations and are currently learning about Mesopotamia.  We have looked at cuneiform, which their art teacher will guide them in creating their own.  We will spend another week or two in the land between two rivers examining the culture, the empires, and other achievements.  After that, we’ll be on to Egypt.

The best way to get a hold of me is through email.  I tend to be tethered to my email on many devices, much to my wife’s chagrin, so I will typically respond quickly.  I, of course, can also be reached by phone at 240-236-1230.  This number will not ring during the school day, so please leave a message and I will call you back as soon as I can (typically after 3 p.m.)  Don’t forget my website, MrdotKenny.Blogspot.com, is a fantastic resource to you and your child.

 Thank you so much for your time, support, and parenting of such wonderful students.  Please never hesitate to contact me with questions and concerns.  We have embarked in a journey together; may it continue to be as exciting and positive as it already has.

Nil Sine Magno Labore,



Collin Kenny

No comments:

Post a Comment